One World Committee
Each class elects one child to represent them as part of the 'One World' team. This committee look at helping those less fortunate in the world. The projects vary depending on need. The committee members have the task of keeping the rest of the school informed and report to their classes after meetings. A display board is kept informing the rest of the school about the work organised by the committee.
Mrs Worley is the teacher responsible for this committee.
The Committee prayer is:
We thank-you for the loving family of St. Polycarp’s.
We know how lucky we are.
Thank- you for the people of the world,
People who are so different, yet dependent on each other.
Help us to help others that are not as fortunate as us.
Guide our One World Committee that we
May follow in the footsteps of Jesus.
The children raise money and hold events for CAFOD. They annually help out at the St. Joan’s Parish CAFOD soup lunch. They have adapted the CAFOD prayer for East Africa for the young children of St. Polycarp’s.
Ihemi Link School
We have established a link with Ihemi Primary School in Tanzania.
Originally the link was created with the help of St. Joan’s Arc’s , ArcAid Aid Committee. Our link is maintained through the Walser Tanzania Charity. The Walsers were former parishioners of St. Joan of Arc. and pupils of St. Polycarp’s.
The children raise money to sponsor annually the education and well - being of a child Edina Mvela. The children regularly correspond with Edina sending letters and pictures. The next project is to make a video of life at our school to send with our charity partners which they wish to share with her.
In addition they raise money and have collections for the school Edina attends the Ihemi School in Tanzania.
Over the years they have provided:
Shoes, spectacles, sports clothes, sporting equipment, educational resources and wind up solar lamps. They have also helped fund toilets for the school and a computer centre for the older children of the area.
Once a year representatives from the charity visit our school and hold an assembly updating the children on the work being done at the school and in the local area to support the families.
Former St. Polycarp’s pupils, are still raising money for Ihemi School and Edina, having been at secondary school for many years. Some of our past students hope to visit the school in the future during gap years.
The children have said prayers and held events to raise funds to:
- help St. Joan’s Youth Group, former pupils, go to World Youth Days in both Brazil and Poland. The former students then come in and talk to our children about their experience, bringing artefacts and showing photos to show.
- help the street children in Brazil where former pupils spent a week helping a charity in Brazil
- help past students at All Hallows School go to Lourdes on Pilgrimages.
- provide SolarPower at The Good Shepherd’s Convent in Mankulam, Sri Lanka
- help UNICEF
- help people effected by the Nepalese Earthquake
- help families effected by famine in East Africa
- The children also organise collections of items such as:
- shoes for Karibu Nyumbani orphanage for former pupils to take out who spent a month volunteering at the orphanage
- books for Nyaagi Primary School , Nairobi, Kenya for another former pupil to take out when again volunteering
- spectacles for the people of Ifunda, Tanzania
- solar lamps for the families of the children at the Ihemi school